Toronto General Hospital Department of Anesthesia & Pain Management
Perioperative Echocardiography Education
Other PTE Courses On-line
3D Model & Image Collections
- Normal Cardiac Anatomy (including the whole heart blood pool model)
- Toronto Adult Congenital Heart Disease Atlas
- Congenital Heart Disease diagrams from chd-diagrams.com (open source – cc-by license)
- Toronto General Hospital, Perioperative Interactive Education
- Wikimedia heart illustrations and video clips (open source – cc-by license) – See specifically the excellent images by P. Lynch.
Echo Simulators On-line
2021 Perioperative TEE NBE Exam Preparation Course
Lecture 1: Anatomy for Echocardiography
Lecture recording (2019) & 3D models
Standard echocardiographic imaging planes in 3D (12 clips)
- Zimmerman, Basic Cardiac Anatomy for the Echocardiographer (Recorded lecture from University of Utah Perioperative Echocardiography Education)
- McGiffin D. Cardiac Anatomy.
- Faletra FF, Ho SY, Leo LA, Paiocchi VL, Mankad S, Vannan M, et al. Which Cardiac Structure Lies Nearby? Revisiting Two-Dimensional Cross-Sectional Anatomy. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. 2018 Sep 1;31(9):967–75.
- Zimmerman J. The Functional and Surgical Anatomy of the Heart. Hunterian Lecture; 1966 Jan 13; Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Chambers and Orientation Terminology
- Partridge JB, Anderson RH. Left ventricular anatomy: its nomenclature, segmentation, and planes of imaging. Clin Anat. 2009 Jan;22(1):77–84.
- Anderson RH, Cook AC. The structure and components of the atrial chambers. Europace. 2007 Nov 1 [cited 2015 Dec 18];9(suppl 6):vi3–9.
- Anderson RH, Loukas M. The importance of attitudinally appropriate description of cardiac anatomy. Clin Anat. 2009 Jan; 22(1):47–51.
- Loukas M, Groat C, Khangura R, Owens DG, Anderson RH. The normal and abnormal anatomy of the coronary arteries. Clin Anat. 2009 Jan;22(1):114–28.
- Chiu I-S, Anderson RH. Can we better understand the known variations in coronary arterial anatomy? Ann Thorac Surg. 2012 Nov;94(5):1751–60.
- Moorman A, Webb S, Brown NA, Lamers W, Anderson RH. Development of the heart: (1) Formation of the cardiac chambers and arterial trunks. Heart. 2003 Jul 1 ;89(7):806–14.
- Anderson RH, Webb S, Brown NA, Lamers W, Moorman A. Development of the heart: (2) Septation of the atriums and ventricles. Heart. 2003;89(8):949–58.
- Anderson RH, Webb S, Brown NA, Lamers W, Moorman A. Development of the heart: (3) Formation of the ventricular outflow tracts, arterial valves, and intrapericardial arterial trunks. Heart. 2003;89(9):1110–8.
Lecture 2: Ultrasound Physics
- Basic ultrasound for clinicians
- Hunting Bats (Video)
- An Interactive Guide to the Fourier Transform
- PTEmasters, Physics of Ultrasound (11 parts)
- Edelman SK. Understanding Ultrasound Physics. 3rd ed. ESP; 2003.
- Fish P. Physics and Instrumentation of Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound. Wiley; 1990. 268 p.
- Miele FR. Ultrasound Physics and Instrumentation. 4th ed. Forney, TX: Miele Enterprises, Inc.; 2006.
- Thomas JD, Rubin DN. Tissue harmonic imaging: why does it work? J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 1998 Aug;11(8):803–8.