The Multi-Subspecialty Education for Low-Resource Settings (MSERS) series confronts the unique health challenges in Indigenous Communities in Ontario. Topics are identified by nurses, nurse practitioners, physicians, and Indigenous health leaders who work within First Nation communities. The MSERS series focuses on locally relevant topics, presented by content leaders in the health care fields across the entire range of medical subspecialties.
All sessions take place 830 to 930 AM (Central Standard Time) through Zoom- contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to be on the mail list for upcoming sessions!
- Creator and Coordinator: Ben Thomson MD MSc MPH(c) FRCPC
- Creator and Coordinator: Marika Bellerose RN NP, Indigenous Services Canada
- Creators: Azad Mashari MD FRCPC, University Health Network; University of Toronto;
- Cory McFarlane MD CFPC, North Bay Regional Health Centre; Sioux Lookout, Meno-Ya-Win Health Centre;
- Josiah Butt MD, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University
CONFRONTING COVID-19 SERIES
- Protected Code Blue in the North (PDF) – Dr. Laurie Mazurik, Jan 28 (2021)
- Oxygenation Options and Considerations for Northern communities (PDF) – Dr. Cory McFarlane & Dr. Azad Mashari, Feb 11 (2021)
- Pharmacologic Management of COVID-19 Infection: Review of the Evidence and Treatment Algorithms (PDF) or Recorded Zoom Presentation (.mp4) with references – Dr. Ben Thomson March 4 (2021)
WOMEN”S HEALTH SERIES
- Contraception (PDF) or Recorded Zoom presentation (mp4)– Dr. Lesley Roberts, April 1, (2021). Additional Resources: (i) Counselling for Contraception guide (ii) Canadian Contraception Consensus Documents on Emergency Contraception, Intrauterine contraception, Progestin-only contraception, Combined hormonal contraception
- Vaginal pain Recorded Zoom presentation (mp4) – Dr. Julie Ann Francis, April 15 (2021)
- The Pap Smear (PDF and recorded Zoom presentation (mp4) – Dr. Lesley Roberts, May 13 (2021)
- Vulvar Discharge and Pruritus (PDF, Assessment form for Pelvic Pain, and recorded Zoom presentation (mp4) – Dr. Julie Ann Francis, May 27 (2021)
INTERNAL MEDICINE SERIES
- Challenging cases of Hypertension – Review of CHEP Guidelines (PDF and recorded Zoom presentation (mp4)) – Dr. Ben Thomson, April 29 (2021) Additional Resources: (i) CHEP (Canadian Hypertension Education Program) Hypertension Highlights (ii) International Society of Hypertension Guidelines (105 page document- page 21 for mechanism of measurement/)
- Diabetes Management at the Nursing Station (PDF and recorded talk here) – Dr. Bikram Sidhu, June 10 (2021)
- Everything You Need to Know about Peritoneal Dialysis in a Remote or Indigenous Community: September 16 (2021)- Dr. Ben Thomson PDF here
- Diagnosis and Management of Hepatitis B and C in Remote and Indigenous Communities: October 28 (2021): – Dr. Anouar Teriaky . PDF here
- Cognitive Assessment and Decline in Remote and Indigenous Populations: November 25 (2021): Dr. Mark Lachmann. PDF and recorded talk here with Rowland Cognitive Assessment form here
- Diagnosis and Management of Thyroid Disorders in Remote and Indigenous Populations: December 9 (2021): Dr. Sara Awad. PDF here
- Geriatric assessment of Polypharmacy and De-prescribing in Remote and Indigenous Populations: January 20 (2022): Dr. Joanne Ho.
- Anemia in Remote and Indigenous Populations: February 17 (2022): Dr. Ben Thomson. PDF . Recorded talk here.
- Soft Tissue Infections in Remote and Indigenous Communities: March 17 (2022): Dr. Reena Lovinsky. PDF here– Recorded Talk Here
- Diarrheal Illnesses in Remote and Indigenous Communities: May 12 (2022): Dr. Reena Lovinski. PDF available on request (large file)
- Chronic Kidney Disease in Remote and Indigenous Populations: June 9 (2022): Dr. Ben Thomson. PDF
EMERGENCY MEDICINE SERIES
- Hypothermia and frostbite management in remote and Indigenous Populations: September 29 (2022): Dr. Tarek Loubani. PDF here– Recorded session here
January 5 (2023): Tuberculosis Diagnosis and Management in Remote and Indigenous Communities: Dr. Natasha Sabur
February 2 (2023): Diagnosis and Management of Alcohol Use Disorder in Remote and Indigenous Communities. Dr. Taras Reshutuhka
March 2 (2023): Diagnosis and Management of Congestive Heart Failure in the Remote and Indigenous Community: Dr. Aws Almufleh
March 30 (2023): Approach to Chest Pain in the Remote and Indigenous Nursing Station: Dr. Peggy DeJong
April 27 (2023): Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in the Remote and Indigenous Community: Dr. Christopher Stone
May 25 (2023): Management of Altered Mental status in Remote and Indigenous Community: Dr. Jodi Pritchard
June 22 (2023): Diagnosis and Management of Burns in Remote and Indigenous Communities: Dr. Jodi Pritchard
We are organizing additional talks on Addictions medicine, Emergency medicine and the impact of Multigenerational trauma on health outcomes in Remote Indigenous Communities. Check back soon!
Please contact email@example.com to suggest topics for future sessions, to provide comments on any of the sessions, or to get placed on the mailing list to be provided the Zoom link for future events!
There are many ways you can support the MSERS series. If you would like to support the MSERS series, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org